1. Heroin Lovers by Robert Francis
2. Hold On by Alabama Shakes
3. Revolution by Dr. John
4. Say I Wanna Know by Nick Waterhouse
5. When Will I See You Again by Anders Osborne
6. True Thrush by Dan Deacon
7. Morse Code by Painted Caves
8. Heart on Heart by Mike McFadden
9. Tell Me (What’s on Your Mind) by The Allah Las
10. Tell Me a Tale by Michael Kiwanuka
10. I Don’t Know by Kat Edmonson
This is always difficult. Ask me next week and I might have a completely different list. Except for Robert Francis, Alabama Shakes and Dr. John as they would make the cut anytime.
Two Baltimore acts make the list this year. Dan Deacon is no surprise as he is popping up on a lot of year-end lists. But Mike McFadden made a lasting impression as well with his crazy catchy power pop single “Heart on Heart”.
Nick Waterhouse actually appears twice since he produced the Allah-Las garage rock nugget “Tell Me (What’s on Your Mind)”.
Don’t overlook the hypnotic, droning, transcendental Arabic/psychedelic “Morse Code” from Ali Lubbad and Painted Caves.
There is a tie for number 10. I really dig Michael Kiwanuka, who is appearing on a lot of lists, but I just couldn’t leave out the haunting and charming Kat Edmonson single.