1. Dark Star by Polica
2. True Thrush by Dan Deacon
3. That Old Black Hole by Dr. Dog
4. Be My Stars by Cris Jacobs Band
5. I’m Getting Ready, Michael Kiwanuka
6. I’m Writing a Novel by Father John Misty
7. Now is the Start by A Fine Frenzy
8. Sleeping Ute by Grizzly Bear
9. Default by Django Django
10. When Will I See You Again? by Anders Osborne
I never thought I’d like anything containing auto tune until hearing Bon Iver’s self-titled album last year and being hypnotized by Polica’s Channy Leanagh live in Philly last spring. Both convinced me that a true talent can use the technique as an artful instrument.
Baltimore represented 2012 quite well with Dan Deacon channeling Bowie & Eno and making his euphoric, yet sometimes abrasive dance music more tuneful than ever and Cris Jacobs finding the perfect compliment for his melodic guitar leads: pedal-steel virtuoso Dave Hadley.
A Fine Frenzy’s new one sounds like Christmas. Just in time!